Guillain-Barré Syndrome is caused when the body’s natural defence mechanism, the immune system, mistakenly attacks and damages the nerves. There is no known reason why it occurs but it can be triggered by mild infections, such as a cold, sore throat or gastroenteritis (an infection of the stomach and bowel.) It can cause symptoms such as:
- being unable to walk without assistance
- weakness in your arms, legs or face
- altered sensations such as numbness, pain, tingling or burning
- balance and co-ordination problems
- extreme tiredness and fatigue
Many people make a very good recovery which is accelerated with specialist physiotherapy to work areas of weakness and difficulties.
For more information about how MOTIONrehab® can help with Guillain-Barr Syndrome, please call the MOTIONrehab Customer Services Team on 0800 8600 138 or email info@MOTIONrehab.co.uk